So, earlier this month I took a trip down to Kansas City to see my sister Pam and to spend some time at the International House of Prayer (IHOP). They have an amazing group of musicians, singers and bible teachers down there, not to mention a 24/7 prayer room full of pray-ers. It is a blessing each time I get to go spend concentrated time with God in the prayer room there.
I came home singing.....no surprise, when am I not singing? Well, maybe not when I am stressed out but most of the time, there is song in my head waiting to burst forth. My current fave songs from IHOP are by Justin Rizzo. He writes good tunes that settle in my heart and stick with me. My blog is called "Let my roots go down deep" and is a line from one of Justin Rizzo's songs, called 'Tree'. It is on his 'Found Faithful' album and is worth purchasing.So I have a friend who figured out the chords and now I play it all the time. It's only about 8 lines long and 4 chords but I love it! And am so happy I can play it for myself. I am sure my IAWAH family, co-workers and friends are sick of hearing it. Sorry, it's going to continue for a while!
I love the imagery of letting my roots go down deep. To reach for streams of living water that may be out of sight but are so abundantly nourishing. I love it. I also love trees and seeing God's character in nature, so this song resonates with me. This last summer at Camp IAWAH, our theme was John 15, yep the whole chapter! John writes about Jesus being the vine and we are the branches, more tree imagery, and how we are to abide in Him. It was cool to spend time in the tree analogy and talk about being grafted in and how a branch needs to be connected to the vine in order to live.
In a recent Bible study we were looking at Isaiah 6:1-8 and the definition of the word 'send' struck me. One of the options was to 'shoot forth (of branches)'. Here am I, send me......took on a whole new meaning for me.
Shoot me forth like new growth from a branch, still attached, still abiding in the tree, sap flowing, being nourished, but sent forth. Interesting.......and still with the tree theme. I am sure I will ruminate on this theme for awhile yet, as I have not plumbed it's depth, but I am willing to continue on this "branch" of thought for a while. And so my love affair with trees and God continues!!



No comments:
Post a Comment