Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Good Reminder!

This morning in church, I was reminded of the power of forgiveness.  My short time at Ellel Derbyshire Downs (last month)  was a reminder of this same principle and was a place of release and healing, through forgiveness.  But this morning, I needed a reminder.

I am continually amazed that God plans for every facet of our fallen nature.  Jesus, before He died, told us to gather, eat bread and wine, in remembrance of Him and in thankfulness for Jesus being the sacrifice that takes away our sin.  It is in our nature to forget quickly, all that He has done for us.  It is not in our nature to quickly forget wrongs, injuries and mistreatment done to us.  However, we are quick to take for granted/forget to be thankful for what Jesus did for us on the cross, to seek forgiveness and to forgive others.  So God set up a moment of remembrance for me today.

What do I mean by that?  Well, I mean that He sets us up to be reminded of those significant truths that He is in the process of teaching us, or has taught us in the past.  I spent time at Ellel taking stock of people and situations where there was unforgiveness and bringing that before God to restore.  Much of that was "Acknowledging hurt", "Choosing to forgive" and "Knowing that Jesus was standing with me in all those situations" (thanks Randy for your message this morning).  

So my reminder moment happened today in the sermon, because I was in the process of forgetting how powerful forgiveness is.  I struggle to forgive myself and in fact have carried unforgiveness towards myself most of my life.  I am not currently carrying unforgiveness towards others but only towards myself and God.  It's true.  I have trouble having grace for myself and allowing my mistakes to be forgiven and in the process forgotten (cast into the sea, perhaps)!  Randy preached a good reminder for me today and then gave us space to come before the Lord and seek to forgive and restore ourselves to Him.

I am very thankful for the chance to come before God with my sin and be freed from that through forgiveness.  I also appreciate that God is faithful and patient with us, as He has to remind me that I am forgiven every time I am tempted to hold on to my mistakes.

As I was sitting in church, during the sermon, the story of the woman of ill-repute coming to wash the feet of Jesus was in my head.  It was a women who's reputation for living in sin was known by everyone in the room.  She comes in and washes Jesus feet with her tears, dries them with her hair and anoints them with a costly bottle of perfume.  The part that stood out in my heart today, as I do frequently come back to this particular story, was Jesus response to the Pharisee (Simon), whose home he was in.  Simon is thinking about this woman's sinfulness and Jesus responds with a parable about forgiving debts and then says "Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven—for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little, loves little." Luke 7:47

I am reminded that I too come to Jesus' feet as a woman of ill-repute and in need of forgiveness.

I am reminded that we are only free from the weight of anger and bitterness (sin and death) through forgiveness.

I am reminded that I am forgiven much and when I forgive myself my heart creates space to love much.

I am reminded that my response is worship of my Beloved, Jesus.

So, here's a reminder, acknowledge hurt in your life, choose to forgive, know that Jesus was and is standing with you in that, and embrace the love and freedom you will receive through this process!!  May it move you to worship the One who in Love created you.

No comments:

Post a Comment